Blog. Stay Up To date
How to solve your creative block with 10 weird steps!
The creative industry is a weird place to belong, it requires weird elucidations when you’re experiencing problems. We all need renewed ruggedness and passion for the work that we do from time to time.
Why should design be any different?
Now, we’ve all heard the average answers of “listen to music” or “spend time outside to refresh yourself.” And that’s all well and good, but even those things can become placed behind times.
That’s the provocation with creativity
If you’re not always doing something new to regain your spirit, things can start to frustrate you pretty quickly. When you fall into routines, part of your creative self may begin to fade.
It gets lazy and bored and eventually it decided to pack its bags for a 5* Vacation away from your inner self.
So how do you keep the “Passion” alive in your creative life?
Here are 10 ways to work through a block and keep the “Creative thunder” fresh in your spirit.
- Quit. Sometimes, the best thing you can do is give up.
- Leave your desk. Get away for a while and do something wild like draw with crayons or play with Lego, or even have a game of call of duty.
- Address what’s giving you that creative block, write it down.
- Stop avoiding. Pull up a chair and listen to what the Block has to say. Flirt with it, have a conversation. Don’t reason with it, but hear it out. Listen and learn from it. And then move on.
- Face your fears, whatever they may be, do that thing. Even if it has nothing to do with creativity.
- Do something completely unrelated to you. If you’re a writer, paint. If a photographer, draw. You get the idea.
- Move around, going for a walk has been proven to work.
- Laugh out loud. No, I don’t mean writing that meaningless phrase “LOL” on your computer screen. I mean to literally have a giggle. Loudly. Amazing stuff happens to you physiologically and mentally when you do this. And it also relieves stress
- Go for a walk and just take pictures of random things and look at what you find afterwards.
- Fast from technology for a day. That’s right. Get off the Internet. ‘I dare you’
Are they weird enough for you?
Seriously it bothers me and I’m sure it bothers you other creative techsperts:
Why do we often solve our problems with creativity with uncreative solutions?
Why do we solve artistic quandaries with math equations? It doesn’t make sense.
Whatever you do to get unstuck or re-inspired, why not flex a little imagination, even have a little fun, and have a risk being a little weird?
What’s the worst thing that could happen? You could get laughed at.
What’s the best thing that could happen? You just might fall in love again and climb over that disgusting creative block we all hate...